Sunday, March 4, 2012

My Gift

I believe that I have been given the gift of expression. With education, I believe that this gift has flourished. Honestly, I never noticed I had this gift until people began to tell me.

I was sitting in my ninth’s grade English class. Our “Do-Now” was to define revenge and also give our opinion on whether it is just. In giving my opinion on revenge, I found that there are so many exceptions and situations. There couldn’t be just one quick answer. So I didn’t write a quick answer. I read my answer aloud to the class. When our papers were returned with grades, I remember the teacher had written “Good! Very articulate.” Despite my abilities, I learned what
the word articulate meant that day.

There’s nothing like an educator to push you.

In eleventh grade, there was an MLK Poetry contest. It was open to high school students and the winner got a gift card to Borders along with some other things. Rediscovering my love for reading at the moment, I wanted that free gift card. I decided to enter. Our poems had to relate to how history, especially MLK’s time, was uplifting and capture the struggles of people through time.
I wrote “Greatness”

I’m a descendant of Greatness.
I’ve done nothing wrong.
So why must I fall?
Why can’t I soar? Is the sky not the limit?
Store my dreams in a basket and hope for deliverance.

I get to know the sweet side of royalty.
Smiling faces fooled glimmering eyes.
I burned the wrong bridges and lost the trustworthy.

Corruption, injustice.
The cursing, the fussing.
The law is on my side but I feel so alone.
Double agents cross me blindly as I’m stripped of my thrown.
My right hand man was on the inside and tore out what was left of me, courage and pride.
But is my hope everlasting?

My head is up.
But my spirits are low.
So I’ll go back to my roots and feel the earth through my toes.

Nothing to lose.
I have no more excuses.
I’ve grown to know my past, my history
And forgiven my abusers.

I am the face of up and coming opportunity.
I am greatness.


When I feel strongly about something, I write about it. When I know, I can share. I can express.

No comments:

Post a Comment