Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Open My Heart

A song that symbolizes Ignatian themes is Open My Heart by Yolanda Adams. It is a gospel song that presents a person who has an important decision to make but doesn’t t know what to do. Therefore, she turns to God. She opens her heart to Him, to God’s will. For these reasons, the song reminds me of the presuppositions and Rules of Discernment.

First off, she has made time for reflection despite the pressures of her situation. She looks for a good spirit to guide her. This covers the first two presuppositions of making time for reflection and understanding the spirit that is leading you.

The lyrics state:
Alone in a room
It's just me and you
I feel so lost
Cause I don't know what to do
Now what if choose the wrong thing to do
I'm so afraid, afraid of disappointing you
So I need to talk to you
And ask you for your guidance
Especially today
When my world seems cloudy
Guide me until I'm sure
I open up my heart

Not only has she made this time, but she also wants to make the decision between just her and God. She opens up her heart, creating room for guidance and releasing her own emotions so she won’t get caught up in them (presups 4 & 5)

Along the lines of the Rules of Discernment, she has followed Rule 1, clearing her head and making time for prayer. Rule 2 is iffy but with the results of the song I trust that she has gathered good information and weighed her options. Nevertheless, the follows her heart and takes the direction in which God leads her, following Rule 3.

Later on the lyrics state:
So show me how
To do things your way
Don't let me make the same mistakes
Over and over again
Your will be done
And I'll be the one
To make sure the it's carried out
And in me, I don't want any doubt
That's why

I need to talk to you
And ask you for your guidance
Especially today
When my life is a little bit cloudy
Guide me until I'm sure
I open up my heart


These lyrics cover Rules 4 & 5, she tells God (generally) that she will do his will and trust him. She will not doubt herself or Him. She has trusted and had faith God and relied on his overall friendship.

Feel free to listen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment