Saturday, April 7, 2012

My Jesuit Education

My education has proven to be Jesuit mainly through the value of appreciating things great and small. When you get to college, you’re a little bit less of a kid. You begin to think and see social issues and take a stance. You begin to make commitments and decisions that affect your whole life, whether you know it at the moment or not. This includes your career. At Loyola, I’ve thought about what I could do and enjoy for the rest of my life and how it would make a difference.

I chose Mass Communication with a sequence in Public Relations and a minor in English. Originally, my track was Journalism. I liked to write, but since I can’t always turn my creative thinking on and off I decided to write about facts. I took Beginning Reporting and while I always seemed to come out with good stories I didn’t like the hassle and stress of getting the stories. I would have lost my mind by 30 years old. But I still liked the idea of writing and media input. I decided to try public relations.

Although switching concentrations is as easy as just saying so and scribbling your choice down on a piece of paper, it’s a big decision. You transfer from potentially working with a periodical to working for a client or agency. You make the transition from investigation to binding the public to the information you have to offer.

And it’s more than just covering for the person you represent when they goof off. You must look at yourself and know what you and your client stand for. You must take steps to ensure that you properly relay the message of the person you represent. You are keeping in mind the interest of an intricate entity besides yourself. It may be “just a career” of jargon and persuasion to some but the smallest details make the biggest deals. This is my Jesuit education.

No comments:

Post a Comment